Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day - Washington DC

By pure luck, my leave travels put me in Dulles International Airport, outside of Washington DC on Inauguration Day. I knew that there would be a lot of positive energy in DC today, but I was totally unprepared for just how overwhelming it is.

Like most of America, I'm watching the images from the Capitol Mall on television, but I swear, I can feel the energy here. It's like an overwelming urge to cry for happiness. Even people who didn't vote for him seem to feel the sentiment - some try to poo poo it as ignorant sentiment or marginalize it by calling him "the Messiah", but that tells me that they still feel it.

I've become very sensitive to "energy" in the past few years, as my awareness of what I consider to be the real universe has grown. Negative energy is like a drain - a suction, it drags me down, leaving me weary, both mentally and physically. Positive energy is a euphoric - it just fills me up with joy that just wants to bubble out.

There is something special about someone who can fill the Capitol Mall with people when the temperature with wind chill is hovering around 10 degrees. I don't think it is all people who believe, as some of my more right wing acquaintences have stated, "that Obama will be making their car and house payments for them." He, BTW, is not a generally positive energy person - he exudes negativity and fear, and he's not alone. I think fear has become almost an epidemic since 9.11 - we should be afraid, very afraid of the unknown and trust those who know better and would look out for us, you know them - the government, the banks, the mortgage companies, etc. We saw how well they did. Then here comes a guy who asks us not just to believe in him, but to believe in ourselves as well - and that positive energy starts to seep through.

I wish Obama all the best - the best advice, the best judgement, the best conditions, and the best tools to run this country for the next 4 years. I think he has surprised a lot of people with his cabinet picks and am willing to bet that his administration will not be as ideologically "to the left" as many have feared. But I think that that just shows both his realism and pragmatism - it's more about making change than talking about change. I think that Clinton tried for too much too quick - tried to shift the country from 12 years of a Republican/conservative executive branch policies too soon, losing both respect and influence in the process. I expect some quick changes - reversal of the abortion gag rules, clarification and statement prohibiting torture, possibly even an executive order on "don't ask, don't tell" - all firmly within his perview as President and head of the Executive Branch. I expect quick action/debate on the economic crisis, but it won't be a one sided thing - it will be based on a bipartisan coalition - trying to make the best choices for the short term without sacrificing the long term. But I'm rambling...

Anyway, it is a joyous day here in DC - I wish all of you could be here to share the energy with me - it is intoxicating!

No comments:

Post a Comment