Friday, January 2, 2009

"Weekend in Afghanistan"

No, it's not like "Weekend at Bernies" - far from it. As a contractor, I actually get some down time (unless the situation dictates otherwise) - unlike most of the soldiers, who still have to perform their duties.  Thursday afternoons and Fridays are the "weekend" in Afghanistan.  I wish I could say that I could kick back, pop a cold one and watch the big screen, but alas, that is not the case.  I can kick back - a little, but the only cold ones are sodas, gatorade, water, or milk and we don't have a big screen (yet - one is supposedly on order for the dayroom!)

The weekend is the time for housekeeping chores - much like in most families in the states. Laundry has to be done, the floor of my room needs to be swept, the sheets changed on the bed, the week's accumulated clutter sorted through, the trash burned, and any special projects done.  Some of this can also be done in the evenings, after my "duty day" is complete, but it's good to set up a routine and stick to it - otherwise I find myself forgetting to do portions or tasks.

Of course, if there is work to catch up on, the weekend is there to do it as well. Today I wrote the After Action Review (AAR) for the course I just finished teaching.  I believe that we can make it into a very worthwhile training event with some minor restructuring.  That is, of course, if the decisionmakers in Kabul want to support it.  But that is what my AAR is for - explaining what worked and what didn't work with recommendations for improvement.

Unfortunately, much as at home, the weekends here pass much too quickly.  Tomorrow it will be back to work, working with the Afghan National Security Forces to improve communications and coordination between the Army and Police organizations. No easy task, that, but it is an essential one for the success of the government.

With this post, I'm finally caught up. I started writing notes on my Facebook page on New Years Eve, but decided to go for a wider audience (and make it easier for my friends and family to find).  I'll update as I can with what I feel the need to say, within the bounds of decency and operational security.  

Hooah!
SLK

No comments:

Post a Comment