Friday, January 2, 2009

New Years Eve - Outside Kandahar, Afghanistan


It’s about 9pm New Years Eve here in Kandahar – a beautiful clear night. The weather has been very nice the past couple of weeks, sunny and warm – highs in the high 60’s and low 70’s. We’re into what should be the rainy season, but we’ve only seen a week of rain so far this winter. Up north, in Kabul, it has snowed once or twice, but here it’s only dropped below freezing a few nights so far.

I’m sitting in my 9’x10’ room drinking a big cup of hot cocoa (thanks Mom and Dad) and reflecting on all of the good will I have experienced since coming over here, both from my wonderful family and friends, but also from the Afghans that I am working with. As much as I miss my family, and tonight I really do, I am glad that I am here, for these are good people who both want and deserve our help. 

I just finished teaching (we graduate the students tomorrow, New Year’s Day) a two week Basic Intelligence Fundamentals course. I had 19 students from the Afghan National Police, the Afghan Border Police, and the Afghan National Army – most slated to do intelligence work, with a few going to work in operations. Overall, I am extremely impressed. These men have chosen the tough life. A policeman makes, on average, less than 400 dollars per month. Soldiers do a little better, but not much. My local interpreter makes more than the Regional Police Chief does in monthly salary. Policemen and Interpreters are targets of the Taliban, as is anyone who helps the coalition. The police have lost more men this year than the Afghan Army has, for less pay and lousy equipment (although we are working on that part). And yet they keep coming to work every day, and they keep going back out on the streets every day, undertrained, undergunned, and undermanned. I’m impressed.

Sometimes it takes being without to appreciate what you really have. We live in a country that, by and large, has security as a given and police do not need to carry automatic rifles as their duty weapons. We live in a country where the electricity is on 99.99 percent of the time and doesn’t shut off at 6pm in the second largest city in the country. We live in a country where you do not have to bribe officials to do their jobs, then have them do it poorly. We live in a country where there is a 100,000 square foot Wal-Mart (open 24 hours a day), a 50,000 square foot Lowe’s or Home Depot, and at least 75 restaurants within 75 miles of 95 percent of us. Here, running water and indoor plumbing are seen as signs of wealth and opulence. It certainly makes one appreciate what we collectively have.

Of course, I am also without my family – at least in person, for they are in my heart every minute of the day. As hard as it is to be away from them, it would be much harder to do this if they weren’t there for me.I thank my wife for letting me take this big adventure. I and we will be better for it. My two boys – you’re both too young to fully understand what’s going on, but I miss you every single day and think about you constantly. Mom and Dad – your support has been wonderful.My Brother and his wife, my Aunt and Uncle, my Sib-in-law and my Niece, you have all helped immeasurably in making this all possible.

As for the friends – you know who you are – and I still owe most of you emails – (for that I apologize, but I will get there, hopefully before I get home on leave in 21 ½ days (but who’s counting, right?)) - thank you for all the support you’ve shown me as well as for my family. I appreciate it more than you can know.

So, before I get any more maudlin, here’s wishing a Happy New Year to everyone. May 2009 be better than 2008 in every possible way.

In the immortal words of Edward R. Murrow… “Good Night, and Good Luck”

Love and Peace to all


Scott Kane
Kandahar, 12/31/08

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And auld lang syne?
For auld lang syne, my dear,
For auld lang syne,
We'll tak a cup of kindness yet,
For auld lang syne!
And surely ye'll be your pint-stowp,
And surely I'll be mine,
And we'll tak a cup o kindness yet,
For auld lang syne!
We twa hae run about the braes,
And pou'd the gowans fine,
But we've wander'd monie a weary fit,
Sin auld lang syne.
We twa hae paidl'd in the burn
Frae morning sun till dine,
But seas between us braid hae roar'd
Sin auld lang syne.
And there's a hand my trusty fiere,
And gie's a hand o thine,
And we'll tak a right guid-willie waught,
For auld lang syne

Meanings:
auld lang syne - times gone by
be - pay for
braes - hills
braid - broad
burn - stream
dine - dinner time
fiere - friend
fit - foot
gowans - daisies
guid-willie waught - goodwill drink
monie - many
morning sun - noon
paidl't - paddled
pint-stowp - pint tankard
pou'd - pulled
twa - two

No comments:

Post a Comment